Thursday 12 March 2009

Overheard At A Cocktail Party In September


"Ah, Sir Victor, how good to see you again! So glad you were able to make it tonight, as there's something I'd like to talk to you about. You'll recall that there were murmurs about monopoly and market share when you were looking at taking over or merging with any of the other big high street banks? Well, I can guarantee there'll be no obstacles in your way if you were to take over HBOS, who I gather from the FSA are a tad overextended and a sitting duck. No that's not insider information, not officially anyway. But it has to be done really quickly, I don't want a lot of job losses at HBOS - apart from the board, of course, we'll make sure you chaps come out on top. And what a huge bank you'll have then. I think it would have to merit a seat in the Lords. Lord Blank - has a nice ring to it don't you think? Have another canape...."

The Penguin

No comments: